General Rules and Regulations of FallFling
**NOTICE: Everything on this page was written by Linda Kerr, and as such, is
copyrighted. If you'd like to use any part of this page for your own festival or event, please
request permission first, AND give credit and a link back.**
© 2010 Linda Kerr
Note: Some of the rules below are also found in the What to
Expect and Site Info. While those other two links will give you
a lot more info, the rules below are the things that, if broken, will at the very least earn you a
beside your name describing what you did in the database forevermore, and at the very worst, get
you removed from the site by the police (yep, it's happened before). So please read them VERY
Back to Main Flyer
- FallFling is held at Roxanna, which is PRIVATE PROPERTY.
Please respect any and all rules put forth by the owners. Roxanna is NOT open to the public in
any way, form or fashion. When you pay your registration fee for FallFling, that particular
weekend is the ONLY time you are paying for. Payment for and attendance at this festival does
NOT provide you access to Roxanna at any other time, or for any other reason.
- Any infraction of mundane law, i.e., theft, threat to or endangerment of
others, etc., are grounds for immediate expulsion from the festival, and possible arrest, if
appropriate. People's tents, campers, and vehicles are their personal property and temporary
living abode; do not enter them without permission.
- Illegal substances are absolutely forbidden, by any and all people!! This is
very important if you can't abstain for the weekend, please stay home. We run the risk of losing
the site and our freedoms otherwise. Don't use drugs at the festival; don't even bring them.
- Underage drinking, gross drunken behavior, and unwanted sexual attention (harassment)
will not be tolerated.
- Firearms are not allowed at Roxanna during the festival.
- TAKE OUT YOUR OWN TRASH: We follow a Leave-No-Trace (LNT) ethic for
Moondance and FallFling. This essentially means that YOU are responsible for removing any
and all trash that you bring or generate while there (right, that means no trash trolls driving
around in their truck to pick up your trash). If you'd like to read up on LNT, here are some good
LNT principles & ideas as they apply to Burning Man specifically: http://www.burningman.com/
environment/resources/lnt.html. Prepare ahead of time; remove all excess packaging from things,
bring things in large containers rather than several small ones, prepackage your food before you
leave home, plan to recycle some of your trash (glass, cans) later, check your camp and
surrounding areas for MOOP (Matter Out of Place) very carefully before you leave.
- There are no showers and no electricity at Roxanna. Plan to bring all the water you need,
plus a solar shower. Generators are allowed, but must be reasonably quiet (or baffled to hide the
noise) and non-stinky.
- PETS and service animals are allowed, but must have proof of all current vaccines (bring
paper from your vet). Animals (especially dogs, and including service animals) must be well-
behaved and under physical control at all times (this means leashed or crated, not running loose
or under verbal command). You must clean up after your pet, so that "doggie bombs" are not left
behind for others to step in. The fee for pets is $25; service animals are always free, but must
meet above guidelines.
- Radical Self-Reliance: This means taking responsibility for yourself and the people around
you. Come prepared. This is not an event where all the home comforts are supplied, or even
available. You are expected to bring everything you think you will need: clothing, food, water,
shelter, toiletries, first aid, toilet paper, etc. You *must* take home your own trash. You must
clean up after yourself *everywhere* on site, and be sure your camp and surroundings are free of
MOOP. There is no one there to clean up behind you or do things for you.
- FallFling is a private function, and is off-limits to media personnel acting in a
- Anyone taking photos or video must obtain permission from all recognizable subjects
*prior* to filming. Hidden cameras or other media devices are prohibited.
- FallFling is clothing optional; however, those working the registration booth MUST
their clothes on, due to emergency personnel or other outsiders coming to the gate.
- Camp Fires & Fire Safety: You can build campfires most everywhere at Roxanna (but not in
the woods or
on the rocks!), but in grassy, mowable areas, all campfires must be contained and off the ground
in some manner:
rocks, charcoal, bottle caps, and other trash tends to get left behind; these items can damage the
bushhog blades ($$$
to repair), and injure or even kill the mower operator! Use common sense with your campfires
and tiki torches. After
battling a forest fire at a previous festival, we're a bit paranoid about fires. If you light a fire, stay
with it. Keep a fire
extinguisher or bucket of water by your fire at all times. Rake away all leaves and debris from
around the fire. DO
NOT build up a big, roaring fire and leave it! (Leaving a small fire or bed of coals for a short
time is okay.) Be sure
that tiki torches are not close to overhanging limbs, and are not placed where they will light a tent
on fire if they fall
- Dead trees: There are several dead pine trees on-site. We're working on cutting these down,
but be aware of
them - take care when parking and placing your tent.
- No one is required to attend our ceremonies or classes, but please respect
the rights of those who choose to do so; try to keep your noise, music and conversation to a
minimum during these times if you are close by.
- ALL cars must be moved to the parking area after unloading.
- Lock your valuables in your trunk; we cannot be responsible for losses.
- Firearms are not allowed at Roxanna during the festival.
- Children under the age of 18 must be under adult supervision at all times.
- Please sign up for at least one volunteer job when you arrive.